Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Recent Crash.

The second post in as many days, I'm certainly feeling my oats.

Anyone who has ridden more than, oh 500 miles or so, has probably had at least one noteworthy, over the handlebars, or other similarly spectacular crash.  These may or may not have resulted in a significant injury.  I know that I've had my share and then some.  The Big Man Upstairs has spared me serious injury or even death on multiple occasions, and I have simply rode away, or picked up my mangled bike and walked away.

All that changed on November 12, 2011.  On that day, I didn't have a crash at all, I simply tipped over.  I won't go into the details because it's almost downright embarrassing how it happened, but I was travelling zero miles per hour and tipped over.  Instinctively, I put out my arms, elbows locked, in preparation to meet the pavement and the radial head of my right arm popped off.  I wasn't able to just get up and walk away.  I needed assistance to get my bike up on the roof rack, then I drove myself to the E.R.  Two days later I had a new titanium component!

My new elbow.
That little incident put the kibosh on a ride to San Diego during Christmas break.  How does the old adage go, Like father, like son?  Riley went over the bars a few weeks later, giving him a minor fracture in his left radius!

We're still hell-bent on going.  I don't believe that I have mentioned a start date for the tour.  That's because I don't know what it is myself.  School is out on May 31;  June 1 is a teacher workday.  We will be free to depart any time after that.  I think that we'll need a couple of days for staging and last minute preparation, so the estimated date of departure is looking like June 5, give or take a day or two.  Is that muddy enough.  But hey, by the time that you read this, we will probably have left, unless you are one of the random 3 people on the planet who have somehow stumbled across this, probably as a result of hitting the next blog button and magically came to mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment