Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Where Does The Time Go? What About Electricity?

It's down to less than a week until the anticipated launch date, 6 days to be precise.  And it's been over a week since I've updated the blog.  I anticipated that keeping a blog updated would require deliberate effort, at least prior to departing, and it seems that I was right.

That's enough random thoughts for now.  I don't want to lose my two readers; even my own mom has  limits to what she is willing to tolerate...

In regard to the actual ride: I am very disappointed with the smart phone so far.  It's not that it isn't functioning properly, but I'm disappointed with what I can actually do with it.  My first desktop computer was purchased used in 1995.  I did not jump on the personal computer bandwagon very early on, but still, it wasn't exactly a Commodore 64 or a Tandy.  I think that it had a 486 processor and I know that it had a 100 megabyte hard drive.  The new phone has 8 gigabytes of memory; I don't know if that's built into the hardware or is in combination with the memory card, but it is billed as 8 gigs.  That's 80 times more memory, and presumably about 80 times the processing power.  Why oh why, then, can I not use a bluetooth keyboard with it?  That's just plain stupid!  The search goes on for a good way to regularly blog on a self-supported tour.

I have been reading some blogs from other cross-country rides and I have noticed 2 things: The riders who are supported have the time/opportunity/equipment to update pretty regularly.  Those on self-supported tours tend to update irregularly.  This is probably because of the gear that they are able and willing to take, and the availability of electricity.

Keeping with the topic of electronics for the trip, here is the list of devices going along: 1 smart phone; 1 stupid phone; 3 iPods; 2 USB rechargeable headlamps; 2 USB rechargeable tail lamps;  Also maybe 1 point and shoot digital camera and 1 HD video camera.  I'm not sure what charging the two cameras will require, other than a 120 volt outlet, so they are in the 'maybe' category.  As for all of the other items, they can all be charged via USB.  The power source for the trip will be the Goal Zero Guide 10 Adventure kit.  I got one about a month ago.  The solar panel appears to perform as advertised, however the battery pack seems finicky.  I don't really know if it's properly holding its charge and I don't have the time and opportunity to do any type of quantitative analysis.  We'll see what happens...  I plan to get another kit for Riley to use.  The plan is to attach them to the top of the load while riding.  This isn't the ideal placement for solar collecting, but based on what I've observed so far, I believe that it will work.  Even if the battery pack isn't working quite right, the panel does charge an iPod, phone or headlamp directly, so again, I think that it will do.  I do not want to spend time sitting in some store, restaurant or visitor center while I wait for my electronics to charge.  I'll plug in when I have the chance, but I don't wan't to have to plan anything around a need for electricity.

How on earth did Columbus find his way?  At least I know for sure that Lewis & Clark had GPS units.

That's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment