Friday, June 8, 2012

An Actual Bike Ride

After aome additional, last-minute, frantic culling through posessions and packing, we finally did actually hit the road yesterday at 11:20 am.

The highlight of the day was that we did actually get started at last. The low-point was the traverse of highway 37. The Caltrans Mower was out working yesterday and that meant that the entire shoulder was covered with LOTS of debris - mostly mowed anise and a variety of other sticks. That wasn't very enjoyable because there was no way to avoid riding right through it. After a couple miles of this, we passed the mower, and had smooth sailing for a time, until I got a flat on the rear tire.

Before going any further, I will say that our bikes are heavy. I weighed my bike and panniers before leaving, and they came in at 103 lbs. That was before sonme culling, but without a few nececcities. I'm sure that I rolled out with it being at least that heavy. I think that the extra weight will make it a little more flat-prone.

There we were, perhaps a mile in front to the mower, on the shoulder of California 37, less than ideal conditions. I decided to go with the quick change - swap a new tube and deal with patching later. Let me tell you, dealing with a flat tire on a bike weighing in over 100 pounds makes it much more difficult, but we got the job done and were on our way again. For one-half mile. Then I had a blowout, also on the rear tire. I looked the tire over pretty well the first time it went flat, but after the blowout I was more meticulous, and I found a slice in the sidewall. So, I've already installed my backup tire, when we were barely 30 miles from home.

Unfortunately, during all of the tire changing the trip mileage on my computer got reset, so no official mileage is available for yesterday, but I'm certain it was 70 miles, plus or minus 2. We were pretty beat by the end of the day, so opted to make our first motel stay, in Vacaville. Neither of us slept particularly well, lots of tossing and turning, but I think that we'll be fine once we're into a littel bit more of a routine.

Enough for now, we needd to be hitting the road. I sent a couple of status updates to facebook, but they didn't take. So technology is still an issue.

Dale

1 comment:

  1. What a day. I don't want to rub salt in a wound, but you're missing a Bait Car marathon on tru tv.

    ReplyDelete