Friday, June 15, 2012

Friend or Foe?

Friday June 15.  Fallon to Middlegate NV.  Approximately 50 miles.

While I'm riding I have a lot of time to think, and naturally I think of a lot of different things to write in the blog; however, by the time I get to wherever our destination is, so many of those eloquent and deep thoughts have completely escaped me, so you have to suffer through these ramblings...

My apologies to Alan Smith's family - they were all wonderful - but I didn't get names and relationships straight, except for Riley, their terrific granddaughter and Felicity, the lovely chihuaha-doberman mix, upon whose backyard we encroached.  At any rate, we were treated to a wonderful breakfast and sent off at a good hour.  We finally hit the road just a little past 8:00!  We owe it all to you Alan, et al!

In addition to getting an early start, we had favorable winds starting out.  We hit the road running and knocked out 20 miles in what seemed like nothing flat; it was less than an hour and a half.  Ah, the blessing of a good tailwind.  It seems that all you have to do is get the bike up to speed and then keep her pointed in the right direction.  We were cruising along with almost no effort at about 22+ mph.  Alas, our good fortune wouldn't last.  We had to turn, and I think that the wind may have shifted a bit as well, and then we spend the second half of our short day struggling with the wind and a couple of assorted climbs.  The wind may be even more dreaded on the downhill runs.  Imagine rolling down a grade on highway 50, doing about 35  mph.  You're fighting the wind to keep the bike aimed straight, but you also know that a good gust can push you over 2 feet or more, and there is no shoulder, just a drop off.  It is very nerve-wracking and takes most of the fun out of the steep downhills.

So what is it about you, wind?  Are you a friend or a foe?  Today, we had a little bit of each.  Could you please make up your mind?!  I know that my brother Greg can relate to the trials and travails or riding in the wind.  At one point today, I said to Riley, "It seems that we've passed the point of no return."

He responded, "I think we passed that a while ago."

When we finally dragged ourselves into Middlegate, we wandered into the bar/restaurant/motel office and found out that the customary procedure was for cyclists to stay in the bunkhouse for $5 a head.  Terrific, our lodging arrangements were in order, so it's time for some lunch.  We ordered our burgers and frosty beverages, and about as soon as we had them in front of us, we were joined by another rider.  His name is Denis and he's also riding from San Francisco to Virginia.  As we got to talking, we find out that we have been leap-frogging each other for the whole week.  We were at the Best Western in Vacaville on the same night.  We both stayed at Cooks Station, although on different nights...  So it looks like we may have some additional company for a week or so.  He lives in Phoenix, so he wasn't planning on the Grand Canyon.  He is planning on a detour while in Kansas so that he can ride the Katy Trail (Aunt Carolyn has mentioned it to me on multiple occassions).  At any rate, it is always nice to have a little company with whom you can swap war stories.

One a related note, my congratulations go out to my friend Ryan Gifford, who, along with his wife Melisha had their first child this week.  As I was riding along behind my son today, I thought about the first time that I held him.  There are no words that come close to describing the feeling.  I can hardly believe that I am going on this trip now with my son.  There has been a lot of water under the bridge over the last 17+ years, but now I'm riding along watching my baby child struggle against the wind to get over the next hill in the barren, desolate desert, and I am proud of him and what he has become.  So Ryan, if you read this, good luck and enjoy it.  No one who has not shared the experience of holding his newborn child knows what you sensed this week, and anyone who has shared that experience knows how wonderful it is.

The following portion of the story was actually written before we left, intending to post, but also as a test of using the iPad, saving files, posting at a later time, etc.

I don't think that I've mentioned the little woman up to this point.  How does she figure into this adventure, you may ask.  A very good question, indeed.  If you asked her, she would say not much at all, but I would beg to differ.

She is not into cycling at all, and that's okay.  Five or six years ago, when I told her about my renewed intention to ride to the east coast, she was not too thrilled.  I can't say that her excitement level has grown much.  She will be without both her husband and her son for 2 months, plus, it's not inconceivable that some harm may befall one or both of us along the way.  I try to point out that we always in peril wherever we are or what we're doing, but that is of little consolation.  At least if one of us gets hurt while we are close to home, she can be there quickly.  I must also say that my mom is concerned for our safety as well; I think that that is a mother's duty.

I want to thank you Corky, for being a good sport and allowing us to proceed with this trip.  You realize that it will be a great opportunity for a bonding experience for Riley and me, and for Riley to have his first truly epic adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment