Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer Rain

Hey, the prognosticators got it right!  When I first saw the forecast for rain on Monday a few days ago, I scoffed, but today as I leisurely sauntered into the kitchen for my first cup of joe, I heard the sound of car tires on wet pavement.

We are tentatively scheduled to roll out tomorrow.  There is a lot to do, so in reality, a Wednesday departure might be better.  Either way, Lord willing, we will definitely be on the road by the 6th.

Rather than put a damper on my spirits, the rain sort of puts me in the mood for summer travel, although in a slightly melancholy way, but even that isn't all bad.  It's true that it doesn't rain much in California, at least not in the summertime, so a little summer rain reminds me of times when I have traveled elsewhere during the summer.

I never realized it before just a few weeks ago, but in the summer after each of my graduations, I have had a coast to coast road trip.  After graduating from San Pasqual High School, my older brother Dave, a friend named Kurt and I, traveled in our 1968 Ford F250, spending 2 months traversing most of the perimeter of the U.S.A.  Two months after receiving my A.A. from Palomar College, I climbed into a Volkswagen Scirroco with Charlie Monticalvo and Tommy Cruz on a lightning fast drive out to Gainesville Florida to attend a wedding and the Florida Evangelism Conference.  That trip lasted about 3 weeks with the return drive, and I was also able to make a surprise visit to my grandfather in Bradenton.  And a few weeks after receiving my B.A. from San Diego State, I drove to the Bay Area, met my friend Thomas Brown, and together we drove his Datsun 510 to Deer Isle Maine, where I spent the ensuing 6 weeks at the Haystack Mountain School of Crafts before flying 'home' to the Bay Area.  Surely this summer will be an adventure to equal or surpass any of those trips, and on each of them I experienced rain at some point.

I got a call from my Aunt Carolyn yesterday.  She is very excited to be hosting visitor in Missouri, so we can count on at least one hot shower about halfway through our journey!

In case you haven't heard, there is a TRANSIT OF VENUS tomorrow.  It's a once in a lifetime astronomical event - don't miss it!

Dale

1 comment:

  1. I read where you once attended "Haystack" in Maine. My daughter-in-law was an instructor there last summer. You met her and my son Cameron years ago at their performance and art space in the Lower Haight. They now live in Freeport, ME.

    ReplyDelete