Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Yesterday's News - (Or Maybe the Day Before That)

This won't be posted until at least  tomorrow, but I'll start typing it today. 

Sunday June 10, 2012
We decided to take the day off in Placerville.  I could use it, and Riley really needed it.  He has never done any real climbing at all, and his first very small taste yesterday sure didn't get him excited.  Actually, he was very excited, but not in a good way.  I mentioned that I have been using some potty language, well, yesterday afternoon was Riley's turn, and much of it was directed at me for having such a stupid idea, forcing him to come along, not taking the short route by starting in San Diego, etc.  He was calm, cool & collected by the time we turned in, but I think that we both knew that a day off was in order.

When we hit Placerville, we rented a room and went for a swim.  We were about 35 miles from the troll, all was well with the world.  Riley was introduced to the joys of doing laundry, one item at a time, in the bathroom sink.  We hit the sack before 11:00 and slept soundly.  It was a good night, so why not follow it up with a good day?  We went to the movies and saw The Avengers.  It was alright, between 7 & 8 on a scale of 10.  I may be being a little liberal in the rating, but I had nothing better to do, and as tired as I am, it didn't put me to sleep - there was a point when I could have drifted off, but since I paid good money for the tickets, I made myself pay attention.

We have found a quiet park where we intend to sleep.  I took most of the weight off of the bike and rolled back down into town to pick up some groceries.  There was a Pizza Factory next to the supermarket and the idea of pizza tickled my fancy, rather than sandwiches.  I called Riley and he too opted for pizza.  We both agree, the Pizza Factory in Placerville makes one fine pepperoni pizza.  I also picked up some brocolli, bananas and 2 oranges in the grocery store, so we are attempting to have some balance in the diet.

Since the topic of diet has come up, one of my most faithful readers asked about what we are eating.  Well, you heard what tonight's menu consisted of: pepperoni pizza.  I didn't mention but in the spirit of full disclosure, I cannot omit this:  Basically all in a row were Save Mart, Pizza Factory & McDonald's, with Save Mart being the furthest form the park.  I went there first and called Riley before going in, and that's when he voted for pizza.  Ipicked up the fruit and went next door to order a pizza.  I had fruit, I had pizza, I even had a small cache of beer, but I was a mile or so from the park, and I was feeling a bit peckish right there and then.  So I stopped in to the Golden Arches and got 2 McDoubles from the $1.00 menu.  There you have it, our full menu for the evening and tomorrow morning.  Oh, I forgot, I also bought a picnic sized salt and pepper shaker (filled) so that we can have salt on our popcorn.  We have yet to pop any, but perhaps tonight will be the night!

It's amazing how many things that I can think of to write when I am not at the keyboard, but now, the mind turns to Jello.  For being in a state where I am feeling as if I can't put 2 thoughts together, this sure has been a lot of typing, rambling though it is... Maybe right now I'll play with the phone, and try to figure out how to easily post pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about what you're writing. I, for one, think all of it is interesting and very real. Even if I didn't know you I'd probably still read it. Some of my favorite books have been "A Walk Across America" and "The Best American Travel Writings for 2006, 07 and so on. Maybe later you can write about the people you're meeting along the way, for instance, the person who gave you a ride. What did he/she think about your excursion? Two MCDoubles, huh. Good thing you're riding off the calories. Adios Amigo.

    ReplyDelete