Saturday, June 9, 2012

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Are we having fun yet?  Good question.  The answer, in a word, for most of the day was no.  Neither of us enjoyed today much,  but that changed at 6:03 pm.  That is when we crossed the American River.  Seeing an actual river was the key that mentally for the both of us, turned it into an adventure. Sort of being on the other side of Sacramento at that point helped as well.  I've been to Sacramento enough times doing glass shows, to feel like it is still home turf.  Now we are away from home, and that has always been a part of the plan. 

So, why no fun today?  Well, another flat tire for starters.  That made the 3rd flat on my rear tire in just 2 days.  Prior to getting the flat, we did stop at a bike shop where I purchased a "thorn resistant" tube and another spare tire. It didn't take long before I installed them both.  Now, for the uninformed on the scientific method, I did a classic error; I manipulated 2 different variables at the same time.  Now, if I stop getting flats, we will never know whether it was the tire or the tube that made the difference.  DO YOU THINK THAT I CARE?  No,  I would just like to see my occurrence of flats go down to about one a week - or less!

Okay, fixing a flat isn't the worst thing in the world, so Riley contributed to the mechanical nightmare.  Well, it wasn't exactly Riley making a contribution by breaking something deliberately, but it was equipment on his bike.  One of the mounting brackets for his rear panniers gave way outside of Davis, so I got to go McGyver on the project and figure out a quick fix.  Cal-Trans donated a piece of wire from the fence between us and the freeway, and I was able to bend loops into the ends to make a bracket that could be used to tie the pannier on.  I think that that happened at about 3:30.

Prior to all of that was the fact that neither of us slept particularly well last night, so we got another late start - about 10:30-10:40.  But I am now perfectly willing to just chalk it all up to  working out a few bugs.  I am hoping to get a good start tomorrow, get in 40 or more miles by noonish, and finish early, which is to say before 6:00.  Today the towel got thrown in at about 6:30.

We are currently sitting at a picnic table near the American River, about 7 miles upstream form where it hits the Sacramento River  I would have been game to rent another room for the night, after about 10 more miles of riding, but Riley was spent, so he voted for camping.  Camping is not 'allowed' at this location, but of all the laws that I have broken to-date, this will certainly not rate as the most significant.

Now an hour has lapsed, we have set up the tent for bug protection, and are just about bedded down for the night.  There is no real access to the river right here, so these horses were ridden hard, and put away wet.  It's a shame, but we are content at the moment.

Update: The above posting was written last night, but due to technology issues, could not be posted until I found free wifi at Starbucks this morning. And that of course, was not before waking up to find a flat fron tire on my bike. It is now 8:20 am on Saturday June 9, and we're ready to hit the road. If I forget to mention it, ask obout our adventures with a bridge troll. If only the largest of the Billy Goats Gruff had been there.

Dale

8 comments:

  1. I posted a comment yesterday but don't know what happened to it. I'm loving your blog and couldn't wait to see where you were today. I agree, once you get the kinks out the trip will go more smoothly (hopefully). You didn't say if you're eating on the road and what you're eating but I did notice the Starbucks mention. You're a very funny, interesting and creative writer, Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you typing all this on your phone? I'll bet your flats per mile go down soon. But only if you're drinking coffee at Starbuck's, not a Venti Mocha with two Poppy Seed Muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Love Child,

      Thank you for the question and insights. I'm typing this reply from the phone, but the complete new postings are being done on an iPad with external Bluetooth keyboard. More about that later.

      Delete
    2. Norton was wondering if you could add some pictures to your post.

      Delete
    3. You don't have to if you don't want to. Norton is always so greedy.

      Delete
  3. Dale,

    This is my third attempt to reply… not sure what keeps happening…
    Anyway, enjoying the posts, kind of like watching a train wreck! I’m sure it will get better. In my first attempted reply, I asked if you remembered my flats on our ride and suggested a beefier tire and tube. Sounds like you are going that route already. Hang in there!

    Bro Greg

    P.S., I too am curious if you are pecking everything out on your phone? Or did you get that foldable bluetooth keyboard? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the posts! Keep them coming. Does slime work for road bikes? May help with your flats. I'm envious about your summer of riding.

    Sis Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all the talk of your Mother, you didn't TELL your Mother about the blog! Nor did you tell your sibs? Found out from your Mother who found out from HER sister that you started a BLOG!? Then I see 2 of my siblings commenting on the blog we didn't even know about? And I thought I had cornered the market on family blogs!! (shameless plug for a blog that needs a little updating: www.supergreatann.blogspot.com ) Have a great trip.....enjoying the adventure so far! I love you! Sis Ann

    ReplyDelete