Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Fitting End to Our Carney Experience

This entry was begun on June 19, and finished on June 23.  I have some catching up to do!

The carney experience came to an end in fitting fashion.

We were in our campsite (such as it was) in Baker, when a man approached me and asked in rather gruff fashion, "What are you guys doing with your tent set up here?"  I told him that we were with the carnival and that Dave had told us to set up down here.  He didn't sound too happy, but didn't insist on any type of payment, ask us to move our tent or anything else; he just turned to walk away.

I had to call after him to ask, "Excuse me, who are you?"  He told me that he was the manager of the RV park, and motel.  There was a completely nondescript building about the size of a single wide mobile home that must have served as the motel.  This happened just after Denis and Chris had burst back upon the scene and I had brought them over to where we were staying.  Not too much later, Chris headed over to one of the 2 restaurants in town for some chow.  It was at least 30 minutes after that that Riley and I also went over to the same restaurant that Chris had selected - we had eaten at the other restaurant the day we rolled into Baker.  Well, lo and behold, the restauranteur was the same gruff man who had asked about our tent location.  CHris was seated at the counter, so we joined him there.  He also mentioned that his order had been taken only moments earlier, so speedy service was not to be expected.  To make a long story short, I had gone back to camp to grab something, and on my way back along come Chris and Riley.  Riley tells me that the man said to him that he wasn't taking any more orders.  This is after we had been sitting there for an hour or so, and 30 or more minutes after the other establishment had closed.  I went in and asked him why he was not going to take our order.  His response was to tell me that he had the right to refuse to serve anyone he chose.

"Well, you could have told me that an hour ago!"

Sure, I was a little angry, but I didn't yell, insult or use any profanity; I did press him for a better explanation, and he had none to offer.  The entire confrontation lasted perhaps a minute, two at the most, by which time he was threatening to call the police.  Well, call the police he did and at about midnight, I was awakened by a sheriff's deputy.  The deputy asked me a few questions about what happened and seemed to have realized from the very beginning that there really was nothing to it.  I asked him where he had to come from to respond to the call, and the told me Ely.  Over 60 miles each way, just to assess a situation that was never even remotely close to actually needing intervention.  At any rate, the deputy was extremely reasonable.  I apologized for playing a part in making him drive all that way.  Of course, a law enforcement officer can't often give you his real opinion of a situation, but I got the impression that if he was put on the spot to pick a side in the situation, he would have picked mine.  I can't help but wonder if this, or some other deputy, hasn't been out to Baker on a wild goose chase before on account of this man.  

Working with thw carnival was a great time and a great experience for both of us, something that we will both remember and talk about forever. It's probably also a "good" part of the experience to have been treated to the same type of discrimination that they have to endure on a regular basis. I'm sure that like every other sector of society, there are a few bad apples, but we didn't meet any and given the choice between a carney and this "respectable" businessman, I'd put my trust in the carney every time.

June 20, 2012.  Baker Nevada to Milford Utah.  67 miles riding, approximately 20 miles hitching.  Total miles ridden: 541.

1 comment: