Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Launch Scrubbed For the Transit of Venus.

The newest official launch date is now 06/06/2012, sometime around 8:00 - 10:00 am.  I would like to say that I was called in to give an impromptu talk at the Exploratorium about the Transit of Venus, but that just ain't true.  I did come across some #10 and #5 welding shades that I had forgotten about, while I was getting tools together the other day.  Let's see, 10 + 5 = 15.  I couldn't find any verification too easily on the internet, but it sort of made sense, sort of.  I first tried 2 layers of #10 and I could definitely see the Sun, and I thought that I saw Venus, but it was pretty dark.  Then I tried one layer of #10 and it was too bright - oh, my eyes!  But one layer of #10 and one layer of #5 yielded good results, and I definitely saw, without any magnification, Venus as it crossed directly between the Sun and the Earth.

Most of the day was spent frantically attending to details.  Planning a trip is half the fun, but at least for me, the last day, or at least the last few hours are extremely nerve wracking.  It will be nice once we are finally on the road, and there is nothing to do but relax and grind out the miles...

You Really Had To Be There
Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment